Deadline: Application deadline: December. 11 2016 (E. Africa Standard Time)
Job no: 501425
Work type: Consultancy
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
To support UNHCR, ARRA and NGO humanitarian partners to establish sustainable WASH services for South Sudanese refugees in camps and host communities in Gambella and BG Regional State of Ethiopia.
In Coordination with UNHCR and working closely with ARRA and designated NGOs, the WASH Consultant will:
- Develop an agreed Annual Work Plan for joint UNHCR and UNICEF activities
- Coordinate and monitor UNICEF emergency WASH interventions with focus on the most vulnerable groups and children (assessment, prioritization, programme design, monitoring and supporting implementing partners and reporting
- Working in collaboration with UNHCR/ARRA/Regional Authorities and NGO partners, strengthen WASH Cluster group / Emergency Task Force in Gambella, focusing on Emergency WASH interventions in camps and in the host communities around the camps.
- Participate in camp based WASH coordination meetings and feed key issues to the emergency task force for Gambella
- Participate in other relevant emergency coordination meetings relating to WASH Emergencies.
- Work in close collaboration with the UNICEF team and implementing partners involved in hygiene promotion and behavioral change activities including development of relevant IEC materials
- Provide regular updates to UNICEF Gambella / UNICEF WASH Section in Addis Ababa detailing the current situation, status of cluster activities, and the status of UNICEF supported interventions
- Provide technical inputs to supply related items and following up on the procurement through coordination with relevant partners within the UNICEF Regional Office in Gambella and Addis on a timely and efficient manner
- Participate in the development and review of appropriate Water, sanitation and hygiene strategy and response plans and support immediate actions relating to the plans for refugees and host community
- Work in cooperation with UNHCR and partners to establish of the WASH systems in the new Nguenyyiel refugee camp for receiving refugees from Pagak and other reception areas
- Work with UNHCR in conducting technical WASH assessments and design appropriate interventions of potential new sites for refugee camps and host community.
- Support UNHCR in ensuring minimum levels of service quality is enforces in accordance to UNHCR WASH guidelines
- Lead WASH partners in design of appropriate low-cost emergency WASH facilities that incorporates beneficiary participation
- Provide technical oversight for expansion of the permanent water supply system for Itang/Kule/ Tierkidi to accommodate Nguenyyiel camp.
- Ensure convening and play advisory role for Technical Working Groups within the WASH sector and disseminate outcomes to the wider Gambella group
- Contribute to donor reporting based on the different reporting schedules and format and provide inputs as required.
- Weekly reports including summary of progress made against activities set out in work plan, identification of key challenges, bottlenecks, and recommended actions to be taken are prepared and submitted to UNHCR and UNICEF.
- Support the bi-weekly WASH task force meeting
- Participation camp level WASH Coordination meetings at camp level and follow up actions taken to conclusion.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate Education
- MSc in WASH related discipline with strong interest in hygiene promotion.
- Minimum of five years of relevant technical experience in design, planning, advocacy, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation relating to Emergency WASH interventions
- Developed understanding of gender and cultural issues in the Gambella context
- Very good communication skills, both oral and writing, including the use of participatory tools such as focus group discussions
- Knowledge of water, sanitation and hygiene related technical guidelines, standards, and indicators in refugee settings
- Very good planning, organization skills, able to take initiative to solve problems with limited support / supervision
- Good computer skills (especially Microsoft word and Excel) – used for preparation of short reports
- Willing and able to live and work in Gambella area with limited facilities and a relatively harsh working environment
Years of relevant experience
Competencies of Successful Candidate
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US $) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
To apply, Click Here.